If you are considering adding YouTube (or some other video) to your web site, then this article is for you. We’ve been adding a fair amount of videos to web sites of late, here at the studio.
Whether you use YouTube or the family friendly Vimeo, video is here and it should be on your site. I’ve create a quick list of 7 reason why you should add some video to your web site.
Before we get ahead of ourselves. Did you know that YouTube is the second largest search engine on the planet? According to YouTube 48 hours of video are uploaded every minute, resulting in nearly 8 years of content uploaded every day. WOW!
That leads us to our first reason….
- Everybody is doing it! It is almost expected to have video on your site.
- Engaging. It is an excellent way to engage your audience. Your viewers get to learn from you while being entertained. They don’t have to read. People skim over the text, but they will often watch the whole video. And if they watch it they are more inclined to share the video and you websites.
- People love to share. This sharing helps in 2 great ways. It directly brings more people to your site and it can bring SEO power to your site as each share is a link to you site.
- Video tells a story. We have all heard “a picture shows a thousand words.” Well, the reason it is a cliche is because it is true. Your body language, the setting of the video, and a thousand other non-verbal communications are passed as you speak in video.
- We all learn differently. Some people are visual learners. Some like to read, some like to listen. This is why we should offer a variety of ways for people to consume our message.
- It can be fun. Entertainment can be defined as “an activity that is diverting and that holds the attention”. What better way to get the attention of our customers than with entertainment?
- It is easy to add to your site. You can add videos created by others on your site. You can click on the embed button on most videos from YouTube and get some code to place on your site. Simply cut and paste (ask your favorite geek if you need some help). You likely have the tools to create a video in your pocket (smart phones rock). Alternately, you can pay to have a video professionally produced.
Those are just a few of the reasons to add some video to your site. We encourage you to get the show running. You can use a video to make a commercial, show off products, share testimonials, tell a story or even train people. Whatever it is, all you need is an idea and a camera.
And if you have any questions about making videos or whether it’s right for you, feel free contact my office. You can visit our home page omOriginals.com to view a video commercial we created for the Renaud Electric Heating & Cooling Guys. Grab some pop corn and enjoy. ~:-)